Summer of Painting - Dark Age CORE - Lightbringer, RAPTR-7s, and L-CSTs


So despite not having posted in two weeks (my sincerest apologies), I have been making some (slow) progress towards the Summer of Painting. Namely, getting my skirmish army for Dark Age complete.

No lightbox pictures for these ones yet. I haven't had it set up for a while and as such haven't been able to take pictures!

As you know, I started working on these guys back at the start of July. I finally took some time in the past few weeks to finish 5 of the 8 models in the force. Since they all went through the same steps on the metallics in that previous post, I won't re-hash the specifics for how that was done here. Instead I'm just going to focus on the other colors that were done to the models.

Up first is the big guy himself, Lightbringer.

Look at all that majesty

Of the models I *have* completed. Lightbringer is easily the most colorful & detailed of the bunch. The first step I took was to add some more depth to the crystals, by putting a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade over them. Next, I did a drybrush of Caledor Sky, followed by another of Temple Guard Blue. That combination seemed to brighten up the Crystals to the extent I had wanted. 

His Cloak is just a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade and a second coat of Steel Legion Drab to re-brighten the raised areas. The rotten hand he's wearing is Castellan Green with a wash of Athosian Camoshade, and the Skull beside it is a basecoat of Zandri Dust, a wash of Seraphim Sepia, and a drybrush of Ushabti Bone.

Next were the finishing steps. The base is Mephiston Red with a wash of Agrax Earthshade. I then give it a good brushing with the Vallejo Brown Iron Oxide weathering pigments. The lower part of the model and his Scythe gets one as well, to make it feel like he's been trudging through the desolate, dusty landscape. Finally everything gets finished off with Abbadon Black for the base rim.

The Raptr-7s and L-CSTs follow mostly the same steps, but with two minor new ones added.

Bugs and Dinosaurs!

Like Lightbringer, they follow the same steps for the Glowy Blue spots, as well as the Weathering and the work done for the bases. However, since these robots are supposed to be somewhat more vicious and mindless than their commander, I decided to add some technical effects. Namely, they all have some gore on them, thanks to Blood for the Blood God (used very sparingly). It makes them look like they've seen combat, and aren't some prestine machines that have been sitting in factories for millennia.

The other minor difference is that one of the RAPTR-7s has green eyes! This has OSL too, not unlike the glowy blue areas. It's a drybrush of Warpstone Glow, followed by a drybrush of Moot Green. I also brighten the areas between his eye grates to increase the glowing effect. It's all then tied together with a glaze of Waywatcher Green.

And that's the current progress I've made on my Dark Age stuff! I just have Centurion, Banshee, and Nexus left to finish, but they may have to wait until after Gen Con. I have a whole Blood Bowl Dwarf team to finish before Wednesday August 16th.

But wait, you say. Didn't the Summer of Painting originally only extend until the start of Gen Con? Why yes it did, dear reader. More on that coming later this week.

--Jastrick

Comments